Medical Office Assistant with Veterinary Specialty Diploma
The Medical Office Assistant with Veterinary Specialty program provides students with the base knowledge, skills, and work experience to become employable in any medical setting. The Veterinary Administrative Assistant performs many of the same or similar duties as a Medical Office Assistant. Veterinary patients have the same basic body systems and require similar treatment for injuries and illnesses as do humans. By adding the Veterinary Administrative Assistant specialty modules to the core Medical Office Assistant program, graduates have wider employment opportunities by choosing to work in a Veterinary setting or a medical clinic. The skills acquired are:
- Comprehensive medical administrative knowledge, which includes medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, hospital and medical office administrative and clinical procedures.
- Specialty Veterinary Administrative Assistant training prepares the student with additional training to work in veterinary clinics and veterinary hospitals.
- Full range of computer and office skills, including current software applications, keyboarding skills, general office management, accounting.
Graduates of the Medical Office Assistant with Veterinary Specialty program are qualified to work in an administrative capacity in a wide variety of healthcare occupations and settings, including veterinary clinics and hospitals, SPCA, veterinary supply companies, and any other related business. Job titles vary, but graduates are an integral part of many healthcare settings, such as:
- Ambulatory/outpatient department
- Complementary and alternative medicine clinics such as chiropractic and acupuncture centres
- Daycare and ambulatory clinics
- Diagnostic lab / x-ray departments
- Group homes and community living societies
- Health records department
- Hospital admitting / ER department including switchboard, cash desk, information centre, patient registration, morgue
- Long-term and extended care departments
- Medical finance and administrative departments