Medical Office Assistant Diploma
The Medical Office Assistant (MOA) is an important member of the medical office team. They help manage the office environment by performing a number of duties. This can include everything from booking and confirming appointments, book-keeping, tracking patient information, processing insurance forms, handling office correspondence, managing computer records and so much more. MOAs also perform other essential duties, such as getting a patient’s medical history and preparing patients for laboratory tests.
The Medical Office Assistant program provides students with the base knowledge, skills, and work experience to become permanently employable in a wide range of medical settings. Skill development is delivered in three areas:
- Comprehensive medical administrative knowledge which includes medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, hospital & medical office administrative, clinical procedures, and specialty Unit Clerk/Ward Clerk training prepares the student with additional training in running hospital and outpatient wards.
- Full-range of computer and office skills, including current software applications, keyboarding skills, general office management, and accounting, personal and professional development, customer service.
- On-site work experience through participation in a 1 month clinical externship at an approved healthcare training facility.
Medical Office Assistant graduates are in high demand and the need for qualified assistants grows as the healthcare industry continues to expand. In less than one year, our MOA graduates find rewarding careers as integral members of many different healthcare settings, such as:
- Ambulatory / Outpatient departments
- Complementary and alternative medicine clinics such as chiropractic and acupuncture centres
- Daycare and ambulatory clinics
- Diagnostic Lab / X-Ray departments
- Health records department
- Hospital Admitting/ER departments such as switchboard, cashier, information, patient registration, morgue
- Long-term and extended care departments
- Medical finance and administrative departments
- OR Booking / Bed Booking
- Physicians’ offices, clinics, mental health care and allied healthcare centres
- Research facilities
- Walk-in care centres